The Achievement and Assessment Institute (AAI) provides both pre-award and post-award support to AAI researchers and KU faculty whose research supports the AAI mission.
Pre-award support provides grant and contract proposal assistance, with additional services depending on individual proposal needs and amount of time before an agency deadline. A longer lead time before an agency deadline allows for the highest level of support and maximizes the competitiveness of a proposal.
Post-award support provides project management services, as well as advising for principal investigators and center administrators on financial activities and compliance as established by federal and state laws, agency regulations, and university policies and procedures. Support is also provided for managing expenditures to ensure that costs are allowable, reasonable and consistent with funding agency regulations.
Learn more about AAI pre-award services (pdf).
Pre-Award Proposal Preparation Services
- Search for external funding opportunities
- Meet to discuss your project and develop an outline and timeline
- Assist with analyzing and interpreting funding agency guidelines
- Engage the program officer
- Assist with the budget and budget justification
- Prepare agency application forms and online registration
- Provide templates and boilerplate content
- Provide high-level reviews of proposal drafts
- Facilitate gathering of proposal components
- Copyedit final project narrative and abstract*
- Review proposal for format and compliance with KU and agency standards
- Assemble the proposal for submission in the required format
- Liaise with KUCR to obtain institutional review and approval
- Assist with proposal submission, hard copy or online
*Upon advance request and availability, proposal narratives can be sent to an external editor for copyediting and proofreading services.
Post-Award Grant Administration Services
- Examine awards for suitability of terms and conditions
- Administer project by monitoring awards and sub-awards for compliance
- Analyze monthly financial reports, communicating with PI regarding financial progress and coordinating activities at end of budget period
- Maintain all accounting records for all awards
- Coordinate personnel and purchasing activities with PI, including searches, new hires, GRA appointments, budget adjustment forms, journal vouchers, travel authorizations, cash advance requests, travel reimbursements, invoices, check requests, expense reimbursements, purchase orders and reconciliation of purchasing cards
- Ensure payroll distribution for faculty, graduate research assistants, student hourly assistants and other staff as needed
- Liaise between PI and KUCR to communicate and resolve any issues that arise concerning expenditures and/or compliance issues and to request provisional awards
- Assist with expenditure reporting for progress reports and annual performance reports to funding agencies
- Work with KUCR to create and submit budget revisions, no-cost time extensions, supplemental budgets and scope of work to funding agencies
Budgets, Finance, and Purchasing
Research Development Specialist