NCME 2018 Special Conference
Call for Proposals
Oct. 8–10, 2018 • University of Kansas • Lawrence, Kan.
From October 8-10, 2018, the National Council for Measurement in Education (NCME) will host the second annual conference on the confluence of classroom assessment and large-scale psychometrics and related disciplines. Historically, different assessment perspectives regarding classroom assessment have operated in isolation. The purpose of this conference is to bring together the many voices and perspectives of experts and practitioners of assessment in order to improve student learning. This year’s theme is assessment in the disciplines.
We are looking for proposals for conference sessions that will enhance dialog among a variety of perspectives. Proposals should be for a Complete Session, or for an Individual Presentation in a shared time slot and room.
- Complete Session
- Panel Discussion
- Book Club
- Individual Presentation
- Video gallery (simultaneously in a shared room)
- Poster (simultaneously in a shared room)
- Demonstration (simultaneously in a shared room)
- Paper (combined with others into a session)
Session sub-themes, include the following:
- Culturally Responsive Classroom Assessment
- Science Classroom Assessment
- Mathematics Classroom Assessment
- English Language Arts Classroom Assessment
- Classroom Assessment in the Arts
- Social Studies Classroom Assessment
- Professional Development Approaches to Improve Classroom Assessment
- Use of Learning Maps and Learning Progressions
Experiential diversity is important to fostering dialog. Sessions will be judged for whether they include a diverse set of professional discipline perspectives. Examples include, but are not limited to: classroom teachers; district administrators; district assessment coordinators; district curriculum specialists; educational technologists; faculty members; games designers; parents; professional development consultants; psychometricians; school administrators; students; and testing product managers.
PROPOSAL SELECTION CRITERIA
Proposals will be judged by a panel of reviewers who consider the extent to which the following considerations are met.
- Focus is on the use of classroom assessment to improve student learning
- Participants will provide evidence supporting their positions
- A diverse set of professional discipline perspectives is provided, especially those of classroom teachers.
Please use the form at https://goo.gl/forms/eW2tWXAY3EqLyR462 to submit your proposal online. The deadline for submissions is June 30, 2018. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by July 31, 2018.
- Session type
- Desired Length for Complete Session (60 minutes; 75 minutes; 90 minutes)
- Title of submission should be a maximum of 15 words.
- Abstracts are limited to 300 words and should describe the focus of your session, address the perspectives that will be provided, and how the session will prompt participants to engage with one another.
- Organizer name as it would appear in the program.
- Organizer affiliation as it would appear in the program.
- Organizer email
- Participants and their roles should present the name and affiliation of each participant and describe each person’s role in the session.
- Participant emails for each participating member of the session, separated by semicolons.
- Session participant background should indicate the multiple primary backgrounds represented by participants in the session.
- Grant assistance for a Pre-K-12 teacher if needed
Any questions about submissions can be sent to NCMEclassroom@gmail.com. We're looking forward to receiving your submissions and a fantastic conference!